Bacon and bubble and squeak, (oven baked), with your mushrooms and baked beans cooked in the microwave.
All microwave cooking instructions are based on a 900 watt model, and will have to be adjusted slightly to suit those with different power ratings.
To serve 2 or 3 people you will need:
- 1 pack of 8 or 10 rashers of either smoked or plain back bacon, (allowing 2 or 3 rashers per person).
- 1 bag, approx. 550 g, of Aunt Bessie’s or your supermarket’s own brand, of frozen bubble and squeak.
- A medium carton, 225 g, of fresh button mushrooms, about 8 medium sized mushrooms per person.
- 1 415 g tin of Weight watchers or other low fat baked beans.
- Pre-heat your oven to Gas Mark 6, 400 F, 200 c, 180 fan.
- Line a large, deep sided roasting tin with kitchen foil and spread your bacon rashers out on it, in a single layer.
- Put 2 or 3 cakes of bubble and squeak per person, on another baking sheet.
- Empty the contents of the baked bean can into a deep sided microwaveable bowl and cover with a small plate or microwaveable Cling film pierced in several places.
- Wipe the mushrooms with dampened kitchen paper, break them into small pieces and put them into another microwave dish or bowl, cover with a plate or pierced Cling film.
- Begin by putting the tin containing the bubble and squeak into the pre-heated oven to cook for 10 minutes.
- Then, put the tin of bacon into the oven as well and set your kitchen timer for 20 minutes.
- Put your plates to warm.
- Spread 2 or 3 slices of bread and butter for each person and leave them on one side.
- Half way through the cooking time, put your baked beans into the microwave and cook on medium power for 5 minutes.
- Take them out and leave on one side.
- Put the mushrooms into the microwave and cook on the same power setting for 5 minutes.
- When your bacon and bubble and squeak are cooked, that is when the bubble and squeak feels slightly crisp on top and the bacon is as crispy as you want it to be, serve them up on to warmed plates.
- Tip your mushrooms into a colander to drain away the liquid they will have produced and either use a large serving spoon or your fingers to add them to the plates.
- Use a large slotted spoon to serve up your baked beans.
- Eat immediately with slices of bread and butter.