If you fancy being completely traditional and you don’t like the idea of opening a jar, why not try this recipe to accompany your turkey Christmas dinner.
To serve 6 to 8 people You will need:
- 1 lb, 2 oz, 500 g, fresh cranberries, wiped with a little dampened kitchen paper
- this is to clean them and remove any tiny stalks
- 7 fl.oz, 200 ml, a little over a quarter of a pint, port
- 4 oz, 110 g, 4 rounded tbsps caster sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick, or 1 heaped tsp ground cinnamon
Place all the ingredients in a saucepan along with 7 fl.oz, 200 ml, between a quarter and half a pint, cold water.
Bring to the boil, but turn down the heat immediately you hear the pan start
Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally for 25 minutes until the cranberries are tender when tested with a fork.
By this time, the sauce should have reduced by about half and thickened slightly.
Cool a little before pouring it into a small, airtight container, allowing it to go cold before storing it in the fridge.