To serve 4 people you will need:
- 2 sheets of chilled, ready rolled puff pastry, try Jus-roll pack of 2 puff pastry sheets weight approx. 425-450 g.
- 1 medium onion.
- 4 oz, 110 g, mushrooms.
- 1 400 g, can of chicken in a white sauce.
- a small handful of frozen peas or sweetcorn (optional).
- a little milk to glaze.
- 2 tbsps of bazil infused olive oil.
- a little salt and freshly ground black pepper.
You will need to grease a medium sized 7 to 8 inch, (18 to 20 cm), diameter flan tin or cake tin that is 3 or 4 inches, 7.5 to 10 cm deep, which has a flat rim.
- Begin by pre-heating your oven to gas Mark 7, 425 f, 225 c, 200 fan.
- Peel and coarsely chop the onion.
- Wipe and break the mushrooms into small pieces.
- Put the mushroom, onion, peas or sweetcorn, into a small saucepan with the olive oil and a shake of salt and grind of black pepper then fry on a gentle heat for 4 to 5 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add the contents of the tin of chicken in white sauce to the pan, stir well to combine the ingredients.
- Turn off the heat and leave it on one side.
- Take your pastry from the fridge and separate the two sheets.
- Line the base and sides of your greased tin with one of the pastry sheets, laying it in neatly without stretching it, then trim away any unwanted pastry from the top rim with a pointed kitchen knife held vertically and run around the outside edge of the tin.
- Spoon the chicken pie filling into the prepared tin, spreading it out evenly to cover the pastry base.
- dampen the pastry rim on the tin with a little cold water. Lay on the other sheet of pastry to form the pie lid, pressing the edge onto the dampened rim of the tin to seal the edges together. Trim away any excess pastry if necessary as before.
- Brush all over with a little milk to glaze.
- Prick the top with a fork in two or three places to let out the steam as the pie cooks.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown, crispy and firm to the touch.
Serve with microwave new potatoes in herb butter and some ready prepared mixed vegetables that just need to be cooked in their bag in the microwave for a few minutes. (Please see packet instructions for details as cooking times will vary according to weight.