This easy to make and quick to cook cassoulet is made in a saucepan on top
of the stove, using any type of cooked sausage, be it, smoked as
the recipe says, garlic or plain, or even meat free.
To give 2 or 3 generous helpings you will need:
- 1 large onion, peeled and coarsely chopped.
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped.
1 red pepper, stalk and top removed, de-seeded and broken into fairly small
- 6 oz, 175 g, mushrooms, wiped then broken up into small chunks.
- 1 400 g, can of mixed beans in tomato sauce.
- 1 400 g, can of Italian chopped tomatoes.
1 Mattessons reduced fat smoked garlic sausage weighing approx 227 g, thinly
- 2 tbsps of basil infused olive oil for frying.
- 1 tsp dried bazil.
- salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Sprigs of fresh basil to garnish.
Fry the onion, garlic, red pepper and mushrooms in a large saucepan in the
olive oil for 5 minutes, until they are just starting to soften.
Add the sliced sausage, mixed beans, chopped tomatoes, dried basil and salt
Bring to the boil, stirring to prevent it from sticking to the pan and to
mix everything together, then cover and simmer for half an hour, stirring occasionally.
Serve up into warm bowls, garnish with fresh bazil and accompany it
with thickly sliced, crusty bread. You’ll need yet more bread to
dip into the delicious sauce.