What are the benefits of TAFN?
Being a part of TAFN entitles you to take advantage of a whole host of great benefits. These include:
- Europe’s fully accessible stereo voice conferencing system
- Lively e-mail lists
- An informative and useful website
- Access to your own TAFN e-mail address
Benefits in Detail
Once you have signed up you will recieve a welcome email and you will be able to access the voice conferencing system. This will allow you to talk to other TAFN members from all over the world.
All you need to get started are the following:
- Windows PC or Mac with a Windows environment
- Speakers or headphones
- A microphone
- Broadband Internet access
Here’s a quick start guide to getting on to our voice conferencing system:
- Go to the TAFN website at www.tafn.org.uk.
- Use your TAB or arrow keys to move to the link for “LOGIN HERE” and hit enter.
Fill in your user ID and tab to Password, then enter in your password you gave at sign up TAB to the log-in button and hit enter.
If you are unsure what your user id and password are, you can Tab to forgot password and enter in your email address
- Once you have logged in, a new page appears titled TAFN guest and members area
- TAB to the link called ‘TAFN TEAMTALK FOR WINDOWS IPHONE ANDROID DOWNLOAD AND INSTRUCTIONS’ and hit enter.
On the next page, TAB to the link called Enter Here To Download Our Chatroom Software TeamTalk For Windows.’Download ‘ and hit enter to start downloading the client.
If asked whether you want to run or save the file select run.
Please note we can ensure this program is safe to run on your computer. This advice only applies to TeamTalk. You must seek your own assurances with regards to running any other programs you download from the Internet.
- Follow the on screen instructions to install the TeamTalk client.
When installation is complete, you can close the web page where you downloaded TeamTalk by pressing ALT plus F4. br />
You can now enter on the TeamTalk settings file you recieved by email. and enter on TeamTalk and enter the rooms and join the fun.
- When in a room press and hold your control key to talk, then release the control key once you are finished speaking.
If you have technical difficulties, please use the contact form to get in touch with our Help Desk.
TAFN e-mail lists
TAFN offers its members a number of e-mail lists that cover a wide selection of topics. The cornerstone of these is the TAFN main list. This is also an informal forum where members discuss a wide variety of subjects.
As a guest you will be signed up to our announcements and main list, the main list is where members will welcome you. You can optionally unsubscribed from any list by going to MANAGE YOUR TAFN ACCOUNT and tab to edit profile Press your H key to you hear mailing lists press your space bar on any list to subscribe and press your space bar to unsubscribe from any list once finished tab to update profile and press enter
By default we add all new guests to our Announcements list. This keeps you up to date with daily events and other important information. and also our main list.
The TAFN Public Website
The TAFN website is a great resource. It has been designed in a way that makes it easy for blind and visually impaired people to find their way around with their screen reading software. Some of the exciting and useful things on our site include:
- Accessible games.
- This page is full of information about games that have been specially created for blind and visually impaired people.
- Sue’s kitchen
- Do you enjoy cooking? If so then this is the page for you. Our very own master chef, Sue, will give you all those little hints and tips that will make cooking even more of a pleasure.
- Book reviews
- Here you’ll find a great selection of book reviews contributed by our members.
- Online Event Reviews
- This is a series of write-ups of most of our online events that may interest you. Everything from music to quizzes, education and support, both technical and personal can be found here.
These are just a few of the things that are available on our public website. Check out www.tafn.org.uk to access these and many other useful and fun resources.
The TAFN Members area
The members area is the place to go to find our documentation, including:
- TAFN Constitution
- Our Codes of Conduct
- Minutes of our monthly members meetings
- Annual Reports
- Grants and Funds Information
The members area also has many members’ profiles, and you can even add your own if you like.
There is also plenty of content exclusively for the enjoyment of full TAFN members including:
- Audio Tutorials
- Accessible Device Demonstrations
- Recordings of special Events
To gain access to the members area:
- Go to the TAFN website at www.tafn.org.uk.
- Use your TAB or arrow keys to move to the link for ‘Members Area’ and hit enter.
Fill in your user ID and Password, TAB to the log-in button, then hit enter.
If you are unsure what your user id and password are, you can use the link on the log-in page to retrieve your details.
Alternatively use the contact form to send an e-mail to our memberships coordinator.
- Arrow down or TAB to the link, TAFN Members Area.
- Press enter. A new window will open and take you to the member area content.
Please note that the members area is only available to Full members.
TAFN mailbox – what it is, and how to get one
Every full member of TAFN is entitled to have their own TAFN e-mail address. This is an e-mail address that will have your choice of name, followed by ‘@tafn.org.uk’.
You can choose either of the following types of mailbox:
- Forwarding address
This simply forwards messages from a TAFN e-mail address to your existing mail account. For example:
firstname.lastname@example.org would forward messages to jo.bloggs@AnotherProvider.com
- Secure IMAP or POP3 mailbox
You could have email@example.com. This would work in exactly the same way as a regular mailbox.
We also offer an accessible webmail service so you can check e-mail from anywhere.
The Mailbox service is provided free of charge whilst you remain a full TAFN member.
To obtain a TAFN mailbox, please use the contact form found by visiting the contact us link from any page. Send your request to the Webmaster.