To serve 4 you will need:
- 4 skinless, boneless, finest Scottish or freshly farmed salmon fillets, weighing around 6 oz, 150g, each. Salmon fillets are readily available from the fish counter of most supermarkets.
- 2 oz, or 3 tbsps, of butter or margarine.
- salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- fresh chopped fennel, or freshly chopped parsley to garnish.
to serve with the salmon:
- A large loaf of fresh crusty white bread.
- a whole cucumber.
- 1 lb, 450g, cherry tomatoes.
- 1 12 oz, 350g, bag of ready prepared green leaf salad.
- a bottle of vinaigrette dressing, (optional).
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 5, 375 f, 190 c, 160 fan.
- Line a large, deep-sided roasting tin with baking foil.
- Wipe the salmon fillets with dampened kitchen paper to clean them and lay them in the tin in a single layer.
- Dot them all over with the butter, sprinkle with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper and cover the top of the tin with foil.
- When the oven has reached its temperature, bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the salmon is soft when tested with a fork.
- While you are waiting, slice a loaf of fresh, crusty bread, allowing 2 or 3 slices per person, and spread it with a nice thick layer of butter, then arrange it on a serving dish.
- Slice some cherry tomatoes, and cucumber and open a bag of prepared green leaf salad and arrange all your salad ingredients in individual side salad bowls.
- When the salmon is cooked, using a fish slice, Transfer the fillets on to warm, large, serving plates, sprinkle with fennel or chopped parsley and take them to the table.
Serve with the crusty bread, drizzle a little vinaigrette dressing over the side salad, and serve your meal with a bottle of chilled white wine.
For dessert, why not try a ready made, chilled tiramisu?