This suet pastry can be used to make dumplings, a small suet pudding or the pastry crust for a small meat pie.
You will need:
- 4 oz, 110 g, of self-raising flour.
- 2 oz, 50 g, of vegetable suet.
- a tiny pinch of salt.
- 4 or 5 tbsps of cold water.
- Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the suet, then add the cold water to make a soft dough. If any dry mix is still left in the bowl, add a couple more tablespoons of cold water and try mixing it again. (Please see my glossary section on making pastry for more detailed information).
- Knead the dough lightly on a floured surface before either breaking it into small balls for dumplings, or rolling it out to line your pudding basin or to make a pastry lid for your meat pie.
Alternatively, you can always buy a packet of ready-made dumpling mix, then all you need to do is add the water to make the dough. You can buy ready-made frozen dumplings too!!.